Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cabinet Door Chalkboard

For many years I've been teaching my children bible verses on a weekly  basis, and I've been thinking of a way that I could display them so that they could see them often throughout the day.  I didn't want to write it on a piece of paper, and I needed for it to be inexpensive to make.  Here's what I came up with: A Cabinet Door Chalkboard.


Here's how I made it.

First I taped the  middle of a cabinet door that I had laying around. I got it at a salvage yard for 25cents.  I painted the edges with several coats of a barn red spray paint.




Next, I taped up the edges and sprayed several coats of chalkboard paint on the middle.
Then I took sandpaper and roughed up the edges to bring out the wood underneath and age it a little bit.

Meet my new best friend, Ralph. Where has he been all my life?  I put a coat of Ralph Lauren Smoke Glaze over the red and wiped most of it off.  This gave it an aged feel.

Next I spray painted an old green cabinet handle I had in my junk drawer.  Then, I sanded it to give it a distressed look.
The lighting is bad on this picture, but I took a small wooden chicken I had sitting out on display, and I drilled two holes in the top to hold my chalk. Next, I glued it to the corner of my chalkboard with Gorilla Glue, and clamped it until it dried.


Here's the final product!  I'm pretty happy with it and I think it goes lovely in my farm style kitchen!

I can't wait to put our new verses on the board each week.  It's in plain view from the dining room table, so my kids can see it at every meal.  The best part is that I made it for the cost of the chalkboard paint, $3.00.  I love cheap crafts!

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this idea! You are so crafty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might steal this idea. But I will have to put grapes on it instead of the chicken. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That look so cute! Great job momma. *smile* Ours is on a wipe off board on the freezer door. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to have children see you read the scripture from the bible so I make sure to pull it out even for their memory verse. Our five year old son will try to fallow along with what we are saying. It's great! I read another place that it was good to memorize scripture through a chapter or book. Our first chapter was Psalm 23(I think)with it's six verses it only took a month of repetion to get that down. Now we are working our way slowly through Colossians chapter 3. It's a bit longer. *smile* Talking about what we are to "put off" and "put on" attitude wise. *smile* Again, GREAT job Momma. *smile* Sincerely, Mommy of two little blessings & so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CUUUUTE!!! I love it Nellie. It turned out really cute. You did great without me. I knew you would. :) I love the whole thing. Awesome job. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to let you know I featured your project on my blog! I just did a post on Nine Things to Use Chalkboard Spray Paint On and you were my cabinet door example!

    This is a fantastic post and I just love your blog!

    http://frugalflourish.blogspot.com/2010/08/nine-things-to-use-chalkboard-spray.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi - this cabinet door transformation is beautiful. I love all the details you used, especially the glaze over the red paint. I'm altering an old metal mailbox. Can't wait to share it with everyone. I invite you to check out my projects at http://altered-artworks.blogspot.com I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete