Wednesday, December 5, 2012

7 Random Things

1. We had our annual Christmas tree hunt last weekend. My girl could care less about finding a tree. She thought she found a much better treasure in the woods:


It broke my heart to tell her that she couldn't take the elk skull home after she carried it half a mile, but I did not want that thing residing in her bedroom. It doesn't match the flower motif.



2. My husband showed his softer side by taking us all to our town's Christmas light parade. It was a true sacrifice for him because:

 *It took longer to drive to the parade than it did to watch the parade which was a mere 14 minutes long.
 *He hates traffic
 *He hates crowds
 *He hates parades


But... he LOVES us!


Give kids a glow-stick and they'll have hours of entertainment.

Below is the company float that our family helped to decorate. The kids put lights on Rudolph.

We enjoyed our little parade, even though my husband wouldn't let the kids see the last float with Santa on it.  We were too busy sprinting to the truck and 4 wheeling out of the parking lot before there was a mass exodus of vehicles clogging the highway.  Like I said, the man hates parades.


3. My husband left the house very early yesterday morning, and instead of telling me where I needed to water the cows, he left me some sort of treasure map indicating where he moved the stock tank, and where to find the water.  It's not exactly a love note, but it was drawn with thoughtfulness, and that's just as good.

 

4. There is a little catfish that has been living in one of our stock tanks for nearly 8 months now.  We  somehow sucked him up with a pump while hauling water, and he's been living in that tank ever since.  I can't believe he's survived this long, and doubled in size. With winter coming on, I think we'll have to relocate him before the tank freezes. The kids will be sorry to see him go since he's the first thing they go to see every week when we fill the tank.


5. Workout videos have left me in a perpetual state of soreness for the last two weeks. It's torture at its finest.



6. Yesterday my 500th blog post came without fanfare. I thought I'd run out of things to write about by now, but apparently I'm even wordier than I thought.


7. Lonesome Dove is one of my all-time favorite westerns. It has some pretty understated and thought provoking quotes. Sometimes lines in a Western book or movie are so simple that you almost miss their depth. Every fan of Lonesome Dove knows the classic quotes, but I typed out a few gems from the book that I had forgotten about.








6 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when they show their softer side? I love it when my husband does that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad he labeled the cow for you...or you might have missed it!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I love the drawing! My Hubby leaves us little notes and drawings every now and then, and I tuck them all away. Love the quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time reader - I love the layout of your blog, it's stunning :)

    The "love note - treasure map" was cute, some people just show love in different ways (and not at parades!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nell, I am so like your husband in that I HATE CROWDS too!!!! I do the same thing to my husband and son...the parade in a town nearby us, usually lasts about an hour and has upwards of 60 floats...my theory is you can see santa on just about every freaking corner, we really don't need to wait for the parade!!!! have a merry Christmas!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. parades and almost a love note.... so cute!!!
    Your randomness makes me smile. ;)

    ReplyDelete