Tuesday, April 9, 2013

7 Random Things

1. Calving is finished! Hallelujah!



This little guy needs to grow into his ear tag. 

2. I took the iPhone photo below while walking toward the barn at 1:00 am to check the "heavies". It was so bright out that I didn't even need a flashlight. It's so hard to climb out of the bed for the night watch, but once I'm outside, the brisk night air wakes me right up! For the first few days, it's dreadfully hard to get back to sleep, but after a week, the delirium of round the clock checks makes me able to sleep anytime, anywhere.



I'm so glad that it's all over! Like childbirth, I'll have another year to forget the pain, and then it will be time to do it all over again. HA!




3. Gripe Alert:
If you have followed along with this blog for several years, you KNOW my disdain for the weather in the month of April. It's such a tease, and the wind.... well, it NEVER stops blowing.  Last week was beautiful with temperatures around 65 F.  Yesterday, we seriously had 70 mile per hour winds, and it knocked over trees, barrels, fences, and small children.



As if that wasn't bad enough, the wind blew in a snow storm overnight. It's still snowing, and my flowers are confused. My MIL always talks to her flowers when they bloom in April and tells them, "Go back to bed, it's too early for you to bloom." I used to find it odd, but now I find myself telling the flowers the same thing.  When I see the buds on the trees, I'm all like, "Fools! You need to wait! A giant snow is going to kill off your leaves! Take heed! Take HEED!"





4. This week, I cracked two eggs into a bowl, and they BOTH had double yolks in them! That's four eggs for the price of two...except, I don't  pay for my eggs. They're home-grown. That's right, everything's bigger and better in.....Texas Arizona!


5. As my real-life friends already know, I spent the majority of last week priming and painting new 4-rail, steel pipe fencing. It's total drudgery! Painting any type of cylinder shaped object is daunting, for that matter. That job is right up there on my list with cleaning mini-blinds, folding socks, picking lice off of monkey's backs, and milking cats. Word to the wise: wear long sleeves and gloves. I learned the hard way. Here's my exact Facebook post from the first day, dripping with sarcasm:

"WOW! Removing oil-based paint and primer from skin is sooo easy! All it takes is a large rasp, medium grit sandpaper, toxic chemicals, and the teardrops of a unicorn. Who knew?!?"




6. I was checking my baby's school work the other day, and I noticed that she erased one of her answers on her language page.  When I asked her about it, she informed me that we couldn't be sure that the picture was a bull because it didn't show between the legs.  Then she said, matter of fact-ly, "Don't they know that cows can have horns, too?"

Smarty-pants. 



7. Baseball season has officially arrived. With 3 kids on three different teams, and my husband coaching one team and assistant coaching another, we are about to enter the crazy zone. This time of year, we practically live at the ball fields every evening.  I need to really beef up my crock-pot recipe selection or we'll be living on Taco Bell for the next few months. I'm open for good recipe suggestions, if anyone has any they'd like to link my way.


Wearing snow boots and dreaming of flip-flops,

Nell



5 comments:

  1. lol! loved the one of the "bull" I'm wearing flip flops right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to place chicken, or any other meat you like, in the bottom of the crock pot and season it with salt, pepper and garlic powder; you can also add sliced onions to the top. Next place potatoes cut into halves or quarters, depending on how big the potatoes are; you just don't want small cubes of potatoes. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and place lid on the crock pot. It isn't necessary to add water. Let this cook on low all day and by dinnertime the main part of your meal is ready. You can also foil cover your potatoes whole and put them on the meat for baked potatoes. Both ways work very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you have a recipe similar to this, but this is by far my favorite BBQ recipe from the crock pot. I got it from my brother.

    BBQ BEEF

    4-5 lbs. of boneless beef chuck or shoulder roast
    1 onion
    2 t. Liquid Smoke
    BBQ seasoning rub
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    ¼ C. Worcestershire sauce
    ½ C. ginger ale
    ½ C. cola
    3 bottles of your favorite barbecue sauce


    Line bottom of crock pot with onion slices. Place the beef roast into the crock pot and rub with BBQ seasoning, salt and pepper. Slice the rest of the onion and place on the beef roast covering it as much as possible. Add ginger ale, cola, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke into the crock pot. Cook on low for 12 hours. The beef will be very tender and can be easily pulled apart using a couple of forks. Remove any excess fat from the beef. Return the beef to the crock pot. Chop up and add the cooked onion, then add barbecue sauce until it has a thick texture. Heat on high for 2-3 hours. Add more barbecue sauce if it begins to get dry. Spoon on to buns or rolls. (Sometimes I add peppers too...YUM!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe sounds amazing! I have a chuck roast thawing out right now for it but I have to go to the store for the ginger ale. Thanks so much for sharing this with me. I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  4. I love reading about your daily life with your family on the ranch. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself with rest of us!

    ReplyDelete