Thursday, January 6, 2011

7 Random Things

1. I love this bird.  "It's so fluffy, I'm gonna die!"

...sorry, I just had to say that.  Moving on to number 2.

2. My lover took 2 packs of bug shaped fruit snacks in his lunch today.  I said, "Are you man enough to eat those at work?"  Then he said, "Actually, lots of guys bring them in their lunches." 

And there you have it.  Tough-guy welders eat fruit snacks.  We also have a pack of My Little Pony Fruit snacks in the cupboard.  They were left unopened.  I guess men DO have their limits.

3. I was reading the newspaper when I happened upon a recipe for grilled cheese sandwiches.  I nearly died laughing when I read the ingredients:

dry white wine
butter, room temperature, divided use
Dijon mustard
ground black pepper
sourdough bread (or other crusty white bread of choice)
Gruyere, thinly sliced
mayonnaise

Then it began with the instructions to heat the wine in a skillet until almost dissolved...then add a bunch of other stuff.

Talk about a great way to ruin a good comfort food!!! I'm sure there is someone out there who would make and enjoy this, but I probably will not be trying this for the following reasons:
a. My kids wouldn't eat it.
b. I would have to special order the cheese
c. It involves at least 15 steps to prepare
d. It doesn't really sound good.

Whatever happened to buttering two slices of bread, and slapping some cheese in between, and then toasting it in a skillet?

I'm going to submit a recipe for Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches.  It's going to begin like this:

2 TBS of the butter extracted from 18 roasted Georgia Peanuts delicately salted
2 TBS Alexandria Strawberries picked at the peak of ripeness, mashed into 1/8 inch bits, preserved with  refined sugar and the pectin of fruits.
2  1/8" slices of High altitude Multi-grain wheat bread with crusts removed at right angles.
Wow, I'm really getting the hang of this recipe writing!!!

4. I spent 2 hours and 15 minutes at the tire shop this week. They had one very old and tattered copy of Better Homes and Gardens magazine to read in the waiting area. 8 pages of the magazine were devoted to full page advertisements for feminine hygiene products, medications for dysfunctions, cat urine odor control, and Psoriasis cremes.

Am I alone in wanting to escape reality when I read a magazine? Am I alone in not wanting to pay $4.50 for a magazine full of advertisements about things that shouldn't be discussed at the dinner table?? Am I the only one that has the expectation that a home and garden magazine should focus on ways to make our homes and gardens better??? Is that too much to ask?

Now I know why I love my Farm and Ranch,  Western Horseman, Country Woman, Taste of Home, and Birds and Blooms magazines.  They don't have any of those disturbing advertisements.

Stepping off my soap box, now.

5. My nine year old son told me he was going to try to grow a beard for the next crazy hair night at church. I said, "Good luck with that."

6. I had 3 packs of gum in my purse, and now I have zero.  My kids steal every stick of gum I own.  They can sniff gum from a mile away.  It's to the point that my husband and I have to sneak it when we're running low.  I give him the eye signal when my hand is on my purse in the front seat of the truck. He gives one slow affirmative nod.  I slide the gum to him the same way I passed notes to my best friend in 5th grade.  He slowly unwraps it while remaining hidden from the view of the Gum Piranhas in the back seat.  We slowly chew our gum, sticking it to the roof of our mouths when we must make eye contact with the children.  Then, one minute later we hear, "Hey, it smells minty up there.  Are you eating gum? Can I have a piece? Yeah, can we have a piece too?Pleeeeaaasssee."

Then, we have to fork over the goods....unless we're on our way to church. If that's the case we repeat the following mantra, "Mrs. Hair doesn't allow children to chew gum at church." Mrs. Hair is our pastor's wife.  She's serious about the gum rule.  Her strict "No Gum" policy has saved my secret gum stash on more occasions than I can count.  Thank you Mrs. Hair.

7. I am the reigning Wii Samurai chopping game champion.  I dominated with the Samurai sword in a big way, and am ashamed to say that my shoulder muscles are in excruciating pain, and I'm dragging a leg around.  Who knew that beating your husband at a video game could be so painful?



This concludes this week's list of 7 random things. Over and out,

Nell

2 comments:

  1. So funny. I usually throw my elbow out while playing wii games. I guess it's a small price to pay for competitiveness :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm!!! I know a girl who migrates each time she's at our house to "the gum cabinet" area...they obviously get this gene from their MOTHER. :)

    ReplyDelete