Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wheat Bran Bread and Other Stuff.

It's wicked cold outside. Like most of the country, we got hit with snow, and then the arctic blast that followed. 



After feeding the critters, we came back inside and spent the day huddled around the wood stove.  I love to sit on the floor in front of the stove while I read the newspaper to get toasty warm.  Today we were watching my in-laws dog, Millie, and she loves to read the newspaper too....by osmosis.

I'm so thankful she kept me from reading any awful headlines, and weather forecasts.  What would I have done without her?

I decided to make a loaf of Wheat Bran Bread today to warm up the kitchen, and I've got to share the recipe with you at the end of this blog because it was mighty tasty, and very healthy too.



We sliced it up and ate it with our dinner of homemade beef stew.  Man was it ever good.


At 33 years old, I'm finally getting to the point in my cooking, where I feel confident enough to throw a bunch of stuff in a pot without a recipe.  And gosh darnit, it turned out GOOD!

Anyway, I highly recommend trying the bread at least once. It's got just a hint of sweetness to it. It's definitely kid approved in my family.


Wheat Bran Bread- Makes 1 large loaf

1 1/2 cups warm water
2 TBS dry milk powder
2 TBS vegetable oil
2 TBS molasses
4 TBS honey
1TBS vital wheat gluten
1TBS dough enhancer
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups bread flour
1 cup All Bran Cereal
2 teaspoons active dry yeast


Here are a few ways to make it.

Put everything in a bread machine and bake on the whole wheat cycle.

OR

Put everything in bread machine and put on the dough cycle.  After the first rise, take it out, put it in a greased loaf pan, and let it rise again, covered, in a warm place for about 30-45 minutes.  Then bake in a 350 degree oven for 33 minutes.

OR

Make it the old fashioned way!

P.S.- You don't have to add the gluten or dough enhancer, but it makes the dough rise nice and pretty if you do.  I love the stuff, and discovering it has taken my high altitude bread making to a whole new level. 



No comments:

Post a Comment