Monday, October 8, 2012

A Stock-Up Trip


This weekend the menfolk went hunting, and the ladies went to the valley.

I can't tell you how much a little break from the house selling craziness can improve a gal's outlook. The girls and I went down to visit my dad for a few days. We shopped at all of the stores that we don't have on the mountain, and I gave my hair some much needed attention. Sometimes, all it takes is a haircut to make you feel like a new gal! I neglected my locks for way too long, and it felt so nice to take a trip to the salon this weekend.  

Afterward, we went shopping to stock up on all sorts of dry goods for the fall baking season.  In addition to buying sacks of flour and sugar, I got several weird things that I either can't find on the mountain, or things that are outrageously priced like Amaranth, Spelt Flour, Kemut Flour, Basmati Rice, flax, millet, quinoa, sesame seeds, bulk yeast, sea salt, etc. I also got a smoking deal on chicken, and apples. I've got apples coming out of my ears right now.

No shopping trip would be complete without a pit stop to Hobby Lobby. Be still my heart. I love that store. So. Very. Much. My house would look way cuter if  Hobby Lobby wasn't 3 1/2 hours away. My house would look so much cuter if ANY craft store was closer than 3 1/2  hours away. I was bombarded with the urge to buy beautiful Christmas decorations while I was there, but resisted. It took every ounce of will power that I had, but I did it. Barely.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, then I would urge you to never take it for granted. You are blessed. If you live within an hour of a craft store, fabric store, Costco, Chick Fila, Target, or mall then you are blessed. Except that I wouldn't trade this rural life for anything. Being far away from my favorite stores makes me appreciate them so much more. It feels like a vacation to go shopping when you only get to do it once in a blue moon.

While we girls were being pampered by my dad and eating ribs at Texas Roadhouse, the boys were cooking steaks on the campfire, sleeping on cots in the desert. They joined up with a bunch of friends and went quail hunting for a few days.  They came back with birds to eat, and tales of their adventure.   

On Sunday morning, it was nice to be back together sitting in the church pew as a family.  I made a HUGE batch of cinnamon rolls and a baked apple dish for our big Sunday school class, and my husband helped lead the worship service. We had lunch with friends, and then went to haul water to the cows. I love to spend time in the pasture with the cows in the evenings. It's such a peaceful, relaxing way to unwind from a big weekend.


Ready to conquer the week ahead,

Nell







5 comments:

  1. It sounds like a fabulous fun weekend. I also got my hair cut and fixed up. And, I spent time at Hobby Lobby too! I didn't get away with out coming home with something though -- fall candles. I also stayed out of the Christmas areas! ;)

    Hope you have a great week.
    - Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting my hair done tomorrow, can't wait! Been forever!
    Sounds like a fantabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fun!! I REALLY need to get my haircut. I need to get an appointment made, asap.
    Ah, Hobby Lobby is the best! I too, wish it was closer than 3 hours away.... ho-hum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! I completely agree with you on the great stores/restaurants being so far away. We went to Payson last weekend for Football and I had been planning for weeks to go to Chili's while we were there. Ha! We did and it was oh so good.
    I love getting my hair done. It does make you feel refreshed and so ready to conquer anything :)
    I really want to start baking. I need to get my bum up and start accepting that it is fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had that 'attitude adjustment' you were looking for.

    ReplyDelete