Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Potato Bread


As promised, here is my standard alternative to wheat bread, and a very good sandwich loaf.




Today I made a delicious loaf of Potato Bread to make sandwiches with at lunch time. My kids salivate over this loaf when I use it for Peanut Butter and Jelly. I slice it warm, and the peanut butter sort of melts on the bread, and then we add several spoonfuls of our favorite strawberry freezer jam. There's nothing like it.

If you've never made strawberry freezer jam, I highly recommend trying it. One of my dearest friends and mentors gifted my family with a jar of it several years ago and we ate the whole darn thing in one sitting. It's like eating fresh strawberries, and tastes so much better than the cooked jam. We were instantly hooked. I can't imagine life without it now. You can get the recipe right off the back of a box of Sure Jell.
Here's the recipe for the bread:

Potato Bread
1 to 1 1/4 cups really warm water (I start with 1 cup and add more as needed)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 TBS butter
2 1/2 TBS Instant mashed potato Flakes
1 1/2 TBS sugar
3 Cups Bread Flour
3/4 TBS Dough Enhancer
1 1/2 tsp yeast

Mix and knead. Let rise for about 1 hour. Punch down, put in a greased loaf pan, cover and let rise again for 30-45 minutes, and bake for 33 minutes @350 degrees. (Baking and rising times may vary... I live at high elevation.)

1 comment: