Sunday, April 3, 2011

Putting Up Tree Stands

My weekend was submerged in testosterone and male related activities.  This week, we found out that my husband and my dad got drawn for archery bull elk, and my son got drawn for rifle cow elk.  It will be our boy's very first big game hunt.  To say he was excited is a gross understatement.  Needless to say, it's going to be a very busy fall for our family!

The preparations for the hunt are already underway.  On Friday, we all spent the day with my dad, and went to go put up tree stands around their favorite remote water hole in their hunting unit.  It's inaccessible by vehicles so we each put on packs full of supplies, and hiked our way back to the base of a hill where the water hole was. 

Here, my baby is hiking up ahead with her Grumpie.  He's normally a really fast walker, but he was slowed down by the weight of carrying the tree stand and a pack full of gear.  My baby was holding some signs, and walked at a brisk trot to keep up with him, but they looked so cute together.  She chatted incessantly the whole way, leaving a slim to none chance that they would sneak up on any animals on the trail.

I think it was good for Dad to have her as his little tag-along for the morning.  It turns him into a softy.


Here's the rest of the crew hiking with packs full of chains and rope. It was a gorgeous day for a hike.  Sunny, calm and temperatures in the 70's.

Here's the water hole.  It's dry now, but during our summer monsoon rains it should fill up... just in time for the hunt.  In this particular area, there isn't much water available so the elk use these water holes quite frequently.  They come in to water several times a day, and that's why it's a great place for a tree stand.

My dad is waaaay up in the tree while my hubby is getting ready to pull the tree stand up to him with ropes.

Here he is, making sure that he can get a clear shot  without any branches in the way.

Here I am...doing what I do best....sun tanning. I was lending moral support to the men.  No... actually I think I was nagging at them to be careful before they fell out of the tree and broke a leg.  It's what being a mother has done to me.  I'm now an expert at risk assessment and analysis.

Next, it's my husband's turn to climb the tree on the other side of the watering hole to put up his stand.

After all feet were safely back on the ground, we hiked back out, and made our way back through the forest and into town for a burger and fries.

I'll leave you with a few of the game pics I took that morning. 

What?

You didn't think I'd write a blog about hunting without some pics of wildlife did you?

Antelope.

Another Antelope.

Elk.

More elk.

Only four pictures. That wasn't so bad, was it?

The End.

Until I write about part II...

"Paintballing with the Boyz"




No comments:

Post a Comment