Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Whimsical Baby Shower

Yesterday, I co-hosted a baby shower for my sweet sister-in-law, and it was such a fun day! I've been busy as a bee the last month in preparation for the big event.

I was in charge of invitations and decorations while my SIL's mom was in charge of the catering and location.  My SIL chose a wonderful restaurant called the AZ Bread CO. in Tempe, AZ. They have delicious salads, sandwiches, and wraps.

I was terribly nervous about the location of the shower, because although it's a fabulous spot, the walls are filled with bold, bright colors... things that would clash with the usual pastels associated with baby showers.  After looking for inspiration on the internet, and finding nothing  that caught my eye, I decided to just do my own thing!

I chose a whimsical bird theme.
I went to the fabric aisle of Walmart, and selected a palette of bold, yet girly fabrics and got started!

I drew a little paper bird template, traced them onto the fabrics.  Then I cut some thin quilt batting too.

After doing a ton of sewing, I had a stack of these cute, two-sided whimsical birdies to use in my decor.


Next, I picked out several types of coordinating bold, and beautiful fresh flowers to make eight small arrangements for the center of the tables.  I seam ripped a small slit into the bottom of each bird, and threaded a piece of bailing wire through each one. Then I arranged the flowers around each bird.


 My mom was a florist, and so my dad paid for all of the flowers in her honor. Preparing these beautiful arrangements in her shop without her was slightly heart-breaking!  When she was alive, we used to do these things together. It just doesn't seem fair. I still miss her terribly.  Yet, working in her shop with everything that was familiar to her was oddly comforting to me.



 After finishing the small table arrangements, I made one large arrangement to go in the center of the buffet table.


Then, I made several miniature cloth diapers, and strung the remaining birdies and diapers on a miniature clothes line with tiny wooden clothespins.  I filled the gaps with bows and scraps of tulle and fabric. We hung it along the buffet table for some added cuteness.

The spread for the shower was delicious! Wraps, sandwiches, fruit, spinach dip, salads, and brie on crackers. Oh, and don't forget the cake! 





Shortly after decorating, the guests started arriving, and it was time to PARTY!


 In the picture above: My lovely Sister-in-law with my niece (not shown)  in her cute little pregnant belly, me, My SIL's sweet mother, and my two baby girls.

My daughters were so excited to attend! They were my little helpers too.

My daughter handed out the party favors as people were leaving.

I used miniature clear take-out boxes and filled them with paper filler, and chocolates. Then, I added a little tag, some tulle, and a ribbon bow.

The shower was delightful, and my new little niece is going to have a precious wardrobe to greet her when she arrives. Not to mention, a gorgeous new nursery!

Now all we have to do is wait for her big apppearance!

10 comments:

  1. CUTE! Love, Love, Love the clothes line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the decorations so much I pinned them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little birds are adorable. I love the colors of the flowers to go with that wall coloring. You really did a great job blending the colors for the baby shower! It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Your decorations are just beautiful! What a lovely shower it must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those arrangement are beautiful. Aunt Debbie would have been so proud! I'm sure she was right there in your ear telling you wear to place each flower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did wonderful with the decorating....very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looked so adorable. You did such a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A baby shower has become a popular way to wish good fortune and blessings, not only for the new arrival but also for the expectant parents. The theme you have choosed is really beautiful and colorful. Unique ideas has been used to decorate the table. Thanks for this fabulous post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know about this baby shower party and I am sure you had great time. Couple of weeks ago, I arranged a baby shower party for my cousin’s daughter. Booked one of elegant LA venues and arranged a grand party for her.

    ReplyDelete