Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Pocket Full of Sunshine


I had a great day today.  I woke up an hour before my alarm went off, and knowing that I had an extra 60 minutes to get some more beauty rest felt like winning the lottery at 5:00am.  I even got ready for church with enough time to make myself a glass of strawberry lemonade for the road.  I drove the speed limit, and still arrived ten minutes before the service started.  TEN WHOLE MINUTES!!That feels like a little miracle. 

The weather was gorgeous, the sun was warm, and there was no wind to mess up my Sunday church hair, or blow my skirt around.  My curls were bouncy, my toenails were sparkly, and I had a whole pack of gum in my purse to share with the family. There was even a fresh Boston cream doughnut with my name written all over it at Sunday School. It had the perfect ratio of dough to filling. 

This afternoon I went to buy tomato plants and there was a flat of my favorite variety just sitting there waiting for me to buy them.  The garden departments get ransacked this time of year on our mountain, and it's sometimes necessary to throw an elbow to secure a single "Early Girl" tomato plant.  Not today.  Today, the sun was shining down on me.

I spent the next 3 hours in the garden with my family working in the soil.  I tilled my garden boxes, planted tomatoes and basil, and lots of flowers. Two little birds serenaded us from above, and it sounded glorious!

As if the day wasn't already going amazing, I hit a home-run with dinner tonight.  I tried a new recipe for Baja Fish Tacos that was better than anything I've ever had at a restaurant! My husband called them "Company Worthy".  He only reserves this title for the "Best of the Best".  I enjoyed my tacos with a side of black beans and a glass of cold iced tea.  It just doesn't get any better than that.

I'm savoring each little blessing from the day, and storing it in the treasure box of my mind so I can pull it out on days when I'm running behind, the laundry consumes me, the wind blows me away, and the dinner is left over from the night before.  Yes, the Lord's blessings are abundant today, and I want to count each and every one of them. 

Enjoying my pocket full of sunshine,

Nell

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to see the blessings in everyday life.

    ReplyDelete