Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Incriminating Evidence

They say a picture's worth a thousand words. I discovered this in my front yard this morning. Being a college educated woman with a degree in Animal Science, I know my poop. This here is of the horse variety. Just trust me on this fact. Last night, while we were resting our weary bones, horses from the Indian Reservation crossed our little street and feasted on my precious few sprigs of green grass. They only come off the rim at night, and they head to a little pond across the street from our lake to get a drink.Across our street is a pasture that connects to the reservation. It's quite ugly this time of year, but the grass will eventually be past our knees when the weather warms up. The grass in our yard at the bottom of the picture is only slightly greener, but we all know what they say about the grass on the other side of the fence....
Being the true detective that I am, I followed the evidence. (I learned all my ranch security techniques from Hank the Cow Dog books.) What we have here is horse droppings on the road. Hmmmm...



What we have here are skid marks. So that's what I heard in the middle of the night. I suppose someone locked up the brakes while trying to avoid the horses crossing the street. Very interesting.
And finally, following the trail of poop, if you will, I have discovered the source of my problems. A broken fence. One of my greatest pet peeves in life. I have spent entire summers fixing fence in college, and I consider myself somewhat of an expert on the subject. Well, lets just be real. I'm the QUEEN of fixing fence. There. I said it.


Now, just what am I going to do about all of this thievery of my grass? Absolutely nothing. NOTHING???? you say. Yes, nothing. I happen to know that in my great state, the law says that if you don't want range animals roaming in on your property, you must fence them out. I may or may not know this because one of our cows that will remain nameless, may or may not have busted through our fence and busted through a second pretty white rail fence to enter the yard of a retired couple. The cow may or may not have been caught grazing on the man's putting green, which he spends hours every week grooming, causing large amounts of damage. But that's another blog post for another day.
Some people may call this "Karma" and say "what goes around, comes around"....but I don't believe in any of that hoopla. I think that because grace is extended to me when our cows get out, I will choose to give grace to the owner of the horses. The end.
P.S. Do you think that our crew of watch dogs warned us of the atrocities being commited in the front yard? Not a chance. They were too busy dreaming of chasing the elusive rabbit.



1 comment: