Friday, July 30, 2010

Ladybug Picnic

I saw something today that reminded me of Sesame Street.  Do you remember this song?
" 1,2,3   4,5,6    7,8,9    10,11,12
Twelve lady bugs, at the ladybug picnic.

It's been a long time, but some songs just stick in your head forever!  Anyway, here's why I thought of the song:
My bug loving son was catching crawdads in the pasture across the road and he ran in the house and said, "Mom, grab your camera!"

"Why?" I asked.

"Just do it" he said. "I've got something cool to show you."

So I did what every good mom does. I grabbed the camera and a pair of flip flops and followed my son out to the pond.
There I witnessed a ladybug infestation.  At first glance there were ten or twenty, but upon closer examination, there were thousands of them!
They were latched on to the fence post, and piled up in the surrounding grass.  If only I knew how to take better pictures, I could have shown you the massive quantities of them. I generally LOVE ladybugs, and they are a welcome gardening friend, but seeing them in droves like this was a little bit creepy.  In honor of today's pictures, I'm going to leave you with a cheesy ladybug poem:
"How brave a ladybug must be!
Each drop of rain is big as she.
Can you imagine what you'd do,
If raindrops fell as big as you?"
~Aileen Fisher

 

No comments:

Post a Comment