Saturday, May 22, 2010

3 Small Blessings Today

I've been whistling the same  happy tune all day today.  You may be familiar with the words....here's my favorite part:

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings every doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.

CHORUS
Count your blessings- name them one by one;
Count your blessings- See what God hath done;
Count your blessings- name them one by one;
Count your many blessings- see what God hath done.

Do you know the hymn? It's a catchy tune, and it always reminds me of how blessed we really are.  I try to make it a point to count my blessings every day.  I've always got my regular biggies like my family and home... but I try not to overlook the little ones as well. They really add up quick! Here are three of the little blessings that I'm counting today.  They put an extra spring in my step.

1. My family faithfully subscribes to Farm and Ranch Magazine.  We love the photography and uplifting stories found in it from cover to cover.  You can't read an issue without a smile on your face.  In fact, we generally fight over who gets to read it first.  They have a hidden horseshoe in each issue that my husband and son carefully search for.  As soon as they find it, they enter a contest online with the "thousands" of other people who do the same.  Guess what?  My sweet husband received a package in the mail today saying that he was 1 of 25 winners among the thousands of entries.  In addition, we will be receiving a free  one year subscription to Farm and Ranch Magazine.  He proudly showed me the Certificate of Authenticity and promptly danced a little jig in the kitchen from excitement. We never win stuff! It was so awesome!

2.  My husband spent all of last week in Nogales Arizona welding a natural gas pipeline at the port of entry.  He went to our most treasured source for refried beans.  If you have yet to read about it, and my undying devotion to the Lowly Frijole, click on the link and it will catch you up to speed.  Anyway, my husband was able to convince the head waiter to share the secret recipe for their delicious beans!  It was all very hush, hush, and it involved a lot of whispering and writing on a paper place mat, but it is now in my possession!  I have to tell you that it involves a pound of cheese and a pound of .......lard.  I almost fainted when he said the last part.  NO WONDER THEY'RE SO DELICIOUS!  Anything that tasty just can't be good for you.  I'm busy making the recipe right now!  Yippeeeeee!

3.  I found a FANTASTIC recipe for making homemade Windex, and it really works!  I made a whole gallon for under a dollar.  That is enough to fill up a Windex bottle four times!  In case you haven't done the math.....that's twenty five cents a bottle!   I've been cleaning every glass window and mirror in sight.  In fact, the glass is so clean that I'm a little worried about birds smacking into the windows now.  Here's the recipe:

Homemade Windex
In an empty gallon jug place the following things:
2 TBS Ammonia
1 tsp liquid dish soap (I used Dawn)
1 pint of rubbing alcohol (2 cups)
2 drops of blue food coloring
Fill the jug up to the top with distilled water, and label it well so it doesn't confuse anyone.
*Note: the recipe just calls for water, but our water is LOADED with minerals, so I thought it would be best to spend the extra 88 cents to buy a gallon of distilled water. It also provided me with the gallon container I needed.


These are just three little things, but they certainly made my day extra special!  Don't forget to "give a shout out" for the little blessings!  They really do make a BIG difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment